Friday, October 15, 2010

STEROIDS - PART 3

Steroids Part 1


I thought that by taking my pills early in the day yesterday I would be able to fall asleep easily last night, but I was wrong.  I tossed and turned fitfully because of the steroids, and I was treated to the pleasure of experiencing a new symptom -- heartburn.  It is SO frustrating to be exhausted and unable to sleep.

By 3:30 this morning I had had enough.  I learned my lesson the night before and had taken possession of the TV remote before Paul fell asleep.  I surfed over 300 cable channels for something completely mindless and found the perfect snooze-fest movie -- an asinine film starring the equally asinine Carrot Top.  Man, this is one scary-looking dude!  My plan worked though, and I fell asleep about three minutes into the movie.  I was so zonked out that I didn't wake up until 1 p.m. today.  I slept soundly the whole time and to my delight, I didn't wake up once coughing.

Today I reduced my dosage to five pills, but I'm worried because I took them so late in the day that it might prevent me from getting to sleep again tonight.  I've got my fingers crossed, so we'll see what happens.

My heightened vision and hearing is still there, and my eyes are still sensitive to light.  It occurred to me as I write this that I've recently read a similar account of sensory overload.  I searched through Anne Rice's Interview With the Vampire and found this passage where the vampire Louis, tells the person interviewing him about the sensations he felt when Lestat drained him of his blood and made him a vampire:

I saw as a vampire . . . It was as if I had only just been able to see colors and shapes for the first time. . . . Then Lestat began to laugh, and I heard his laughter as I had never heard anything before . . . It was confusing, each sound running into the next sound, like the mingling reverberations of bells . . .

To me, this is close to what I've experienced.  Hmmm . . . I think I've been reading too many vampire novels.  I'll have to keep a close watch on my teeth and make sure I don't sprout fangs!

Three days into this ordeal the steroids seem to be doing their job, and this makes me a happy camper.  In keeping with the spirit of my blog, I think it's time for something else cheerful . . .

*****

I believe that Stephen Colbert is hysterically funny -- all l I have to do is look at the guy and I crack up laughing!  This is a clip from a show he did last year.  It may be old, but it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and it never fails to make me laugh out loud.  This is sheer comic genius.


The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Craziest F#?king Thing I've Ever Heard - Barreleye Fish
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes2010 ElectionMarch to Keep Fear Alive

Steroids Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment